Are you bothered by a weak chin, undefined jaw line or lack of facial contour? Facial implants can bring a harmonious balance to the underlying framework of your face. Through facial implant surgery, Dr. Bharti can accentuate areas of your cheeks, chin, nose or lower jaw.
Why Undergo Facial Implant Surgery?
- Facial implants can be used to strengthen a naturally weak chin, weak jaw line or bring the chin or cheekbones into balance with the rest of your facial features. Some patients choose facial implants in conjunction with rhinoplasty (nose surgery) to ensure a proportional balance of facial features.
- During the natural aging process, the face may begin to lose some of its vitality. Facial implants may be elected to fill out a face that appears "hollow" or tired.
- Congenital defects, abnormal facial structures and facial trauma may also be corrected with facial implants.
Your Facial Implants With Dr. Bharti
- Prior to surgery, you will need to undergo a surgical consultation. Dr. Bharti will be able to determine if facial implants are right for you based on factors such as your medical history, skin elasticity and underlying facial structure.
- Facial implants are typically placed to augment the jaw, chin or cheekbones. A small incision will be made near the treatment area to create a pocket for the implant. In most cases, the incision can be created inside of the mouth or lower eyelid to conceal scarring. A custom-sized implant will be inserted within the pocket. Implants will be secured with dissolvable sutures.
- The treatment area will be covered with gauze and tape after surgery to protect against infection, and minimize discomfort.
What to Expect After Surgery
- It is normal to experience some swelling, pain and discomfort for several days. You may also have difficulty opening and closing your mouth. Dr. Bharti will provide you with specific instructions regarding dental hygiene, diet and physical activity.
- You should be able to resume work, school and other social activities within a week of surgery. Strenuous activities or contact sports that may bump or jar the face should be avoided for several weeks.
- The final results of your surgery will become gradually apparent as swelling and bruising resolve over the course of a few weeks.
Facial Implant Alternatives
- Several non-surgical alternatives exist that may temporarily improve visible signs of aging or genetic abnormalities. Botox® Cosmetic, dermal fillers and fat grafting may work for you.
- Facial implants are often incorporated into other cosmetic procedures to enhance results. A face lift, brow lift or nose surgery may be performed in conjunction with facial implants.