Labiaplasty and other "below-the-belt" procedures have been steadily growing in popularity for several years. Women choose labiaplasty for a number of reasons, both cosmetic and functional. Labiaplasty is a surgical procedure used to reduce the inner lips (labia minora) or outer lips (labia majora) of the vagina.
Why Undergo Labiaplasty in Tennessee?
- Enlarged, elongated or asymmetrical vaginal lips may be a source of embarrassment and discomfort for affected women. They may cause pain during sexual intercourse, exercise, or when wearing tight clothing such as jeans.
- A change in the appearance of the labia may occur as a result of childbirth, sexual intercourse, genetics or aging.
- The best candidates for labiaplasty will be 18 years of age or older and in good health.
Your Labiaplasty With Dr. Bharti
- Labiaplasty is an outpatient procedure that is often performed using a local anesthetic combined with sedation. The surgery may take up to two hours.
- During surgery, Dr. Bharti will use a scalpel, surgical scissors or a laser to shorten the inner lips of the vagina. The exact incision length will depend on the size and shape of your labia. If necessary, liposuction combined with surgical reduction may be used to alter the size or shape of the outer vaginal lips. All external incisions will be sutured with dissolvable stitches.
What to Expect After Surgery
- Your genitals will feel sore, swollen and bruised for several weeks. Oral medication and antibiotics may be prescribed to reduce pain and the risk of infection.
- There will be some bleeding following surgery. It may be necessary to wear a pad for up to one week.
- Normal activities such as work can be resumed within a week of surgery. Physical exercise should be avoided for three weeks or longer.
- Tampons should not be used for at least 10 days and sexual intercourse should be avoided for at least one month.
- Unfortunately there are no other methods that can be used to reduce the size of the labia. Labiaplasty is the only technique that can alter the size, shape and appearance of the vaginal lips.
- Labiaplasty is elective and rarely a medical necessity. You should never undergo labiaplasty to fulfill someone else's desires.